Wednesday, April 13, 2011
CAMEX 2011 Trend Update
Oarsman 913, a division of PAi, recently exhibited at CAMEX. CAMEX stands for Campus Market Expo and is a show featuring everything you would find in a college bookstore.
Our booth highlighted our latest Oarsman collegiate line of apparel, showcasing new printing techniques, new garments and new designs.
Our line was very well received and was right on target with the show trends! This year, Oarsman designer Elizabeth Friedel scoured the show, anaylizing overall design trends, techniques and garments that are hot in the college market:
Design & Technique Trends:
- Distressed apps with pieces missing.
- Unbacked fabric that rolls and frays.
- Thick stitching gives vintage feel.
- Contrast distressed stitching as accents.
- Basic collegiate looks that are washed, faded and distressed remain a prominent trend this year.
- These designs are often on heathered, tri-blend or pigment dyed type garments.
- Glitter, sparkle, foil, and rhinestones are very popular.
- Basic designs with just sparkle or glitter were prevelant.
- Rhinestones as the entire logo or as accents continue to be a popular trend.
- Love, Hearts, and girlie designs are VERY hot right now!
- Mixed media continues to be a hot trend, especially in combination with vintage looks.
- Screenprint is applied both under and on top of appliques.
- Oversize prints continue to be a dominant theme.
- They are made by large screenprints and infusion printing.
- Patterns on garments and in designs continue to be a popular trend.
- Patterns can be seen on accents of garments, main garment fabric, appliques or fills and accents in designs.
- Stripes, plaids, polka dots and animal prints were all over the place.
- Burnout garments are HOT and are popular in many silhouettes.
- The burnout patterns are distresses, custom logos or special prints.
- Tie Dye patterns started making a comeback a few years ago, and are definitely still around.
- They are currently making a comeback in the college market.
- Garments are offered in stock colors and patterns, in addition to custom school colors and patterns.
Scoop & Deep V-neck
- Deep V's, low scoop necks, and off the shoulder, loose fitting garments have increased inpopularity for women.
Varsity & Retro Fashions
- Basic garments with retro details dominate the men's and women's college market.
- Letterman style jackets, vintage athletic details, raw edges, rugby stripes and raglan sleeves are popular.